Table of Contents
It’s that time of year again – the time of year when people are growing beards for a variety of reasons. No shave November is here, and I’m sure we can count many readers as participants! Others may live in certain parts of the world where it’s suddenly starting to get a lot colder and might want to grow out a beard to keep themselves a little bit warmer this winter. Others, and honestly – this is probably most people out there these days – probably have a whole laundry list of reasons why they have beards. Regardless of why you’ve got this facial hair thing going on, you might want to consider investing in some good quality beard oil!
What is Beard Oil?
First off, let’s talk about what beard oil is in the first place. The most basic definition of this great product is that it is a cosmetic product that people use to moisturize the skin found underneath their beard to keep it softer, shinier, and smoother. It has this softening, shining, moisturizing effect on beard hair itself as well. Additionally, beard oil mimics the different natural oils which the skin produces (e.g. sebum) and is mainly made up of carrier and essential oils. When beard oil is made, it is usually created as a collaboration of different oils that include argan and rosemary. More so. beard oil is used to treat a variety of different skin and beard-related conditions. Some of these main conditions include coconut oil, rosemary oil, and jojoba oil. Now let’s go into depth about all of the great things that most beard oils have to offer.
Does Beard Oil Help With Beard Growth?
We’ve touched on what beard oil can do for your facial hair and skin, but can the stuff actually aid in beard growth? While it’s impossible for you to change the rate at which your hair grows, beard oils which contain unrefined jojoba and pure argan oil still have the potential to create the conditions needed for healthier hair growth. This will lead to you having less breakage within your beard, allowing it to become thicker and longer at a faster rate. More so, a good beard oil, especially if it contains unrefined jojoba and pure argan oil, is able to penetrate your facial hair pores, thereby significantly improving your whiskers elasticity and the stimulation of speedy beard growth. Additionally, beard growing oils also contain natural antioxidants and vitamin E which are able to strengthen your beard by improving damage done to your facial hairs cellular membranes. However, it is also important to keep in mind that the more resilient your beard is, the faster it will appear grown.
How to Make Homemade, Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Beard Oil
At this point, beard oil must sound enticing to you. How could it not, right? However, for a variety of reasons – including and especially price – you may not be too hot on the idea of purchasing beard oil. If you’re looking for a cheaper, but still effective beard oil to use, you should know that you can in fact make beard oil yourself! Here’s how:
- Gather 14 grams of argan oil, 7 grams of jojoba oil, 7 grams of sweet almond oil, 7 drops of lavender essential oil, 5 drops of rosemary essential oil, and 3 drops of cedarwood essential oil.
- Place all of the ingredients you have gathered into a 1 ounce amber glass bottle with a dropper. Then gently swirl these ingredients together so they are more combined.
Voila! You have your beard oil! Be sure to store it at room temperature, and adjust the ingredients or oil rations accordingly if you’d like, depending on personal preference.
How To Use and Apply Beard Oil
- Apply the beard oil while your skin is still warm and damp shortly after taking a shower.
- Depending on the length of your beard, drop 3-5 drops of beard oil into one of your hands. Keep in mind that longer beards will require you to use more drops, but don’t forget that a little beard oil goes a long way. Therefore it is a good idea to increase the amount of beard oil you use by one drop at a time as your beard length increases.
- When applying, don’t forget about the mustache area!
- Following this dip your other hands fingertips in the oil and rub it all over your beard.
- After applying all the oil, use your fingertips to massage it down into your beard all the way to your skin.
- After massaging all of the oil into your skin, use a small comb to smooth down your beard.
You'll get there soon. Accelerate your beard growth journey with our beard growth oil- pic.twitter.com/6D0PhCVLo0
— Beardo for men (@BeardoForMen) October 21, 2016
Coconut Oil for Your Beard
We spoke a little bit in this article already about how jojoba and pure argan oil can serve as great ingredients to create a superb beard oil, but what about other natural oils? Coconut oil in particular is an excellent choice when it comes to beard oils! Coconut oil, when applied to your beard, can do wonders for you! Coconut oil is able to keep your beard healthy and soft. Additionally, coconut oil does a great job at keeping your skin hydrated and well-moisturized. Here are a few of the other benefits which coconut oil provides:
- Coconut oil can hydrate the skin found under your beard – apply coconut oil lengthwise across your beard. When you massage your face with coconut oil, the oil is able to help keep your face and the roots of your beard properly hydrated. Additionally, massaging your beard with coconut oil will allow your skin to rebalance your natural moisture.
- Coconut oil will help your beard feel softer. Unlike other oils, coconut oil isn’t greasy, and because it contains lauric acid it’s highly effective at penetrating skin. Coconut oils’ conditioning properties are also able to help your facial hair stay healthier and softer
- Coconut oil can help revitalize your facial hair, making it look shinier and healthier.
Castor Oil for Your Beard
The next oil that we are going to focus on that can help your beard is castor oil. One of the recommended ways of using castor oil to promote healthy facial hair growth is by using it as a conditioner for your beard. Using castor oil to condition your beard will help promote facial hair growth. For best results, you’ll need to apply the castor oil at night, preferably prior to going to bed, followed by a thorough washing of your beard in the morning.
Jojoba Oil for Your Beard
Yet another great natural oil to use to promote beard growth or as a general beard oil is jojoba oil. Jojoba makes a great beard oil if applied to your beard in a mixture with other essential oils and other oils or on its own. More than that jojoba oil also serves as a superb beard conditioner too. Jojoba oil does a great job at conditioning both your facial skin and hair. Additionally, jojoba tends to do a great job at strengthening your hair shaft and cleaning out your hair follicle to help you keep a long beard. At this point you’re probably wondering practically though how do I apply jojoba oil to my beard in order that I reap its tremendous benefits which we just discussed? Here’s one suggested way to apply it. These directions are especially important for those with overly dry facial hair or skin underneath it.
- Massage a few drops of jojoba oil into your beard and skin.
- Let the jojoba oil penetrate through the skin for anywhere from a half an hour after applying it to the following morning.
- Don’t forget it will take a while to figure out how much jojoba oil works for you. Therefore, it is highly recommended to start off by using a few drops and working your way up as needed.
Additionally, it’s important to take note of the fact that it’s completely fine to apply few drops of jojoba oil here and there to your beard throughout the day. This is especially important if you tend to struggle with dry skin and hair. Generally, after applying jojoba oil to your beard and the skin, you should not feel greasy or oily afterwards. If however, you still feel greasy or oily after using jojoba oil it is important to shampoo and use less jojoba oil in the future.
Where Can I Buy Beard Oil?
So, now that you’ve heard about all the great kinds of beard oils out there and all of the amazing things they can do, you’re probably thinking to yourself. “This stuff is great! Where can I buy it?” With the rise of a lot of naturally made products, beard oil has become especially popular and beard oils are therefore not as difficult to acquire as some other products. However, you do have to know where to look for them. Once you do you, will be able to choose from an array of both online and offline stores where beard oil is available.
Beard oil is great for your beard and the skin under your beard. However, it is important to recognize that there are different beard oils that are made from different oils and essential oils, each with their own unique benefits and properties. However, once you find the beard oil that works best for you, you’ll be able to grow the great beard that you’ve been waiting for!
Check out our other oil features – like those covering Tea Tree, Grapeseed, Evening Primrose, and Avocado Oil here at Innovative Private Label!